The following are great places to camp, hike, and backpack near and around Naples:
- Carney Park (Monte Barbaro) -
Hike the Carney Park rim for an amazing view: as you approach the fork with the sign reading "Admiral Carney Park" (where you turn left before approaching the gate), look to your left to find the trailhead. The trail leads up the southern rim, which has the best views and the best hiking. You can also hike the northern rim, but it is difficult (impossible?) to get to the top, and you have to walk through someone's vineyard/backyard with barking dogs to get down. The NOR Center should have trail maps created by the local Boy Scout troop.
View of Carney Park from Rim Hike
- Abruzzo Mountains: Central Italy (~3.5 hrs from Naples), the highest point south of the Alps, Gran Sasso National Park offers both normal and "via Ferrata" hiking.
- Campitello Matese (~2.5 hrs from Naples)
- Parco Nazionale del Cilento e Vallo di Diano: South of Naples (~2hrs)
- Parco Nazionale del Pullino
- Parco Nazionale dell' Aspromonte
- Parco Taburno - north of Naples near Caserta; includes source for Caserta fountains. www.parcotaburno.it take road to VITULANO form Montesarchio, bear left at fork in road towards Rifugio-Albergo Taburno, then 1 hr hike to the top
- Avellino, just east of Naples
- Amalfi Coast -
see the Amalfi page for some great hikes along the Amalfi Coast, such as the Sentiero degli Dei (Walk of the Gods)
- Capri, Ischia, Procida - see the Gulf of Naples Islands page for hikes on these islands, including up Mount Epomeo on Ischia and to the Arco Naturale on Capri.
Expanding your hiking (beyond Campania):