Places to Stay in Rome
In general, I recommend staying close to the centro storico (historic center), which means smaller apartment rentals and B&Bs rather than large hotels—our favorite option is AirBnb in the Monti District. However, if you want to stay for cheap, there are a lot of inexpensive options near the Termini Train Station.
- Home Away Vacation Rentals: www.homeaway.com (good option if you have a large group)
- AirBnb: www.airbnb.com (widely varying prices and quality, but if you look hard enough you can find some great deals)
- Couchsurfing: www.couchsurfing.com (as the name suggests, you stay for free on someone's couch, but be sure to carefully vet your host)
- Rome specific companies...not sure of their quality:
- Meta-Search: www.tripping.com which does a "meta-search" of a bunch of different vacation rental sites
Cheap Places Near Termini (Train Station)
- Fawlty Towers Hotel and Hostel - via Magenta 39, 5th floor (walk out the track 1 side of Termini one block, then turn right), dirt cheap but clean, really close to Termini, 06-445-0374, 06-445-4802, www.fawltytowers.org, €8-14 dorm beds, €25-30 single shared bath, €30-35 single with shower, €45 doubel shared bath, €50-53 double with bath €65-75 triple with bath, €80 quad shared bath. --> might be closed??
- The Beehive - via Marghera 8 (~2 blocks N of Termini) 06-447-045-53, €20-25 dorm rooms (higher price Mar-Oct), €70-80 doubles with shared bath, also apartments starting at €30 per person for 2-10 people near Termini, www.the-beehive.com, rec'd by Rick Steves and the Telegraph.
- Hotel Cressy - via Volturno 27 (~2 blocks N of Termini, near Terme di Diocleziano), €22 dorms, €35 single shared bath, €45 double shared bath, €55 double private bath
- Yellow Hostel - via Palestro 44, 06-493-826-82 (no under 17 or over 40...those outside the age range are suggested to try their partner Hotel Romae), seems like a social, "party" atmosphere, €24-34 per dorm bed, www.the-yellow.com, rec'd by Rick Steves.
- Casa Olmata - via dell'Olmata 36 (S of Termini near Santa Mari Maggiore) €50 double, €60 triple, €68 quad...also €22-38 dorms/singles?, www.casaolmata.com, rec'd by Rick Steves
- Hotel Orbis - via Principe Amadeo 62 (~1 block S of Termini), €25 single shared bath, €37 double private bath [mixed reviews on venere.com; they praise the location and price but say it's noisy and reception is in next-door hotel Dina, €10 extra per night for A/C]
- Hotel Terni - via Principe Amadeo 62 (same as Orbis, above), €30 single, €35 double shared bath, €37 double "basic" with bath, €55 "superior" double [similar views to Orbis]
- Hotel Domus Mea - via Calatafimi 31 (~2 blocks N of Termini, near Terme di Diocleziano), €30 single shared bath, €38 single private bath, €45 double shared bath, €53 double private bath [€8 per night for A/C, venere people complain about cleanliness]
- Hotel Urbis - via Marghera 13, (~1 block NE of Termini) [again complaints about cleanliness]
- Hotel Lazzari - via Castelfidaro 31 (~4 blocks N of Termini), €35 single, €50 double [venere reviews say rooms are small, elevator is cool, and breakfast inadequate]
- Hotel Ferrarese - via Principe Amedeo 76 (~2 blocks SW of Termini), €35 single, €48 double
- Hotel Mari - via Palestro 55, (~5 blocks NE of Termini)
- Hotel Acropoli - via Principe Amedeo 67, (~2 blocks SW of Termini) €35 single, €40 double
- Hotel Capri - via Magenta 13, (~3 blocks N of Termini), €35 single, €43 double
- Hotel Katty - via Palestro 35, (~3 blocks N of Termini), €36 single, €44 double [venere.com: good reviews in general, "good value," old hotel, small elevator to 4th/5th floor, no breakfast]
- Hotel Seiler - via Fierenze 48 (just W of Piazza della Repubblica), €36 single, €40 double
- Hotel Romae - via Palestro 49, (~3 blocks NE of Termini), €37 single, €49 double/two twins [venere.com: good reviews, WiFi and A/C, breakfast provided at nearby "Yellow Bar" restaurant although most recommend spending additional €1 for larger breakfast, some rooms in separate building]
- Hotel Nardizzi Americana - via Firenze 38 (near Piazza della Repubblica), €49 single, €80 double, €100 triple, www.nardizzihotel.com, rec'd by Rick Steves, "pleasant, air-conditioned rooms and a delightful rooftop terrace"
- Hotel Sileo - via Magenta 39 (just NE of Termini), 06-445-0246, €50-60 double without bathroom or with bathroom from 7 PM to 9 AM only, €65-80 double with bath throughout the day, www.hotelsileo.com, rec'd by Rick Steves
- Various B&Bs (e.g. Meltin' Rome B&B, €45/single shared bath near Termini) throughout Rome at www.cross-pollinate.com
Cheap Places Elsewhere
- Hotel Julia - via Rasella 29, (just NE of Trevi Fountain, near Barberini/Quirinal Palace), €38 single without bath or A/C, €50 single, €62 queen double, €90 normal double [good reviews on venere.com, great value/location]
- Hotel Versailles - Corso d'Italia 92 (near Galleria Borghese)
- Hotel Kristi - via Collina 24 (near Via Veneto) €35 single shared bath, €45 single private bath, €45 double shared bath, €50 double private bath
- Hotel Vibel - Viale dello Scalo di San Lorenzo 97 (San Lorenzo district)
- Hotel Panda - near Spanish Steps, Via della Croce 35, rec'd by the Telegraph
- B&B’s City House - near Pantheon, dorm beds but very nice, rec'd here
Hotels Near Colosseum
- Grand Hotel Palatino - Via Cavour, 213/M, 00184 Roma, Italia; Ph. +39 06 4814927, Fax +39 06 4740726; email@example.com or http://www.fhhotelgroup.it/eng/grand_hotel_palatino/grand_hotel_palatino.htm. Jan 2011 - room was 119 Euro's; decent hotel, decor is a bit dated, hard bed, good shower, breakfast (included) was great; this hotel hosts American student groups that are studying abroad. This hotel is located next to the Cavour Metro Station, a parking garage and has street parking. It is a five minute walk to the Colosseum; 20-25 minute walk to Piazza Campo de' Fiori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campo_de'_Fiori).
Venere phone booking: 02-914-834-80