Service and Worship in Naples
Community Service & Volunteer Opportunities
- Knights of Columbus/San Vincenzo Abbey - an ongoing service project helping the nuns of the San Vincenzo Abbey in Molise with their olive groves and various other manual labor, about a 2 hour drive from Naples. Bring work gloves and a lunch; typically carpool from Support Site on Saturday at 7:30 and come back by early afternoon. firstname.lastname@example.org, sites.google.com/site/kofcnaples
- Nisida: Outreach to Incarcerated Youths - visiting, playing soccer, and doing other activities with teenage boys & girls at the Juvenile Detention Center on Nisida. 081-568-5960, email@example.com
- Missionaries of Charity (Mother Teresa's order) - help with their shelter, soup kitchen, clinic, and youth outreach, via Tribunali 282, 081-440-3000. Although they are international, most sisters speak English.
- Naples Overseas Spouses Club (NOSC) - runs a thrift store and publishes Shopping on the Boot to support various nonprofit causes, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info or see www.naplesoverseasspousesclub.com
- American Red Cross - organizes various medical-related volunteer activities at the hospital and at various events throughout the year (e.g. running first aid tents for festivals on base), www.cnic.navy.mil/Naples/TenantCommands/AmericanRedCross
- Naples Hospital Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) - medical and non-medical professional "surge" and regular work, naples email@example.com or 081-811-6084.
- Department of Defense Schools (DODS) - various volunteer work around the school, in addition to Parent-Teacher Association and various parent committees.
- Navy Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS) - helps out servicemembers and dependents with new babies, financial problems, etc. www.cnic.navy.mil/Naples/TenantCommands/NMCRSNaples
- USO (United Service Organizations) - "Until Every One Comes Home!" Two locations (Capo Air Terminal and Support Site Village Forum) are always looking for volunteers to help staff the offices/lounges for a weekly time commitment, greet the incoming flights/ships and/or help out by serving on the Volunteer Committee that plans community events, fundraising activities, Taste of Home nights, etc. For more info, visit: www.naples.uso.it. To volunteer, contact Sabrina Pullido, Director of USO Rome & Naples, firstname.lastname@example.org or 081-568-5713 (DSN 626-5713).
- Gruppo Archeologico Napoletano - a group of volunteers who help preserve and teach about Naples' archeological history; they can probably use help translating things into English! www.ganapoletano.it (website in Italian)
- Animals Without Limits - focuses on assisting animals and children (e.g. finding homes for abandoned dogs/cats), www.animalswithoutlimits.com, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
English Worship Communities & Services
In addition to the church services offered on base, there are the following English-language services and worship communities:
- Anglican/Episcopalian (downtown, via Chiaia): Christ Church, Via San Pasquale a Chiaia 15b, 081-411-842, www.christchurchnaples.org, services on Sunday at 10. More information also at Britannia in Italia.
- Baptist (Varcaturo): Il Faro International Baptist Church, Via Licola Mare 89, Varcaturo, 081-804-3271, www.ilfaro-napoli.org, Contemporary Worship services on Sunday at 11
- Baptist (Lago Patria): Bible Baptist Church of Naples, Via Lago Patria #250, 80014 Giugliano (NA), 081-839-5808, Pastor (Chuck Truitt) Cell: 366-272-7815, naplesbbc.org
- Methodist (Vomero): Via Andrea Vaccaro 24, 081-556-4263, services Sunday at 11:45, www.metodisti.it/local_006.shtml
- Church of Christ (Bagnoli, near JFC): Viale Messina 1, 081-570-6101, napleschurchofchrist.com
- Lutheran (downtown--note: in German and Italian): Via Carlo Poerio 5, 081-663-207, www.lutero.org, 1st Sunday of the month in German at 10:30, 3rd Sunday of the month in Italian at 6 PM.
- Jewish Chabad Center (downtown, via Chiaia): via Carlo de Cesare 29, 081-060-9353, 333-338-2685, chabadnapoli.com
- Jewish Synagogue (downtown, via Chiaia--note: not in English): 31 Vico Santa Maria Cappella Vecchia, 081-764-3480, www.napoliebraica.it, services on holidays & Shabbat at 9:30. Also see In Italy's page on Judaism in Italy.
- Catholic (downtown, centro storico - not English anymore): Gesù Nuovo Church, on Spaccanapoli, Via San Sebastiano 48, 081-557-8111, 5 PM Sunday mass used to be in English (?) but is now in Sri Lankan.
- Catholic (elsewhere in Italy): In Rome, Santa Susanna church is the home of the American church in Rome and does regular English masses. In Italy's page lists several other places that have English services.
Want to attend an Italian Catholic Mass? See this short page, designed to help non-Italians (both Catholic and non-Catholic) understand Catholic church services in Italy.